Balsamic Beef Salad
Colorful and filling, this makes a substantial summer salad
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr 5 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
For the dressing
- 1 / 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tsp chopped oregano or marjoram
- 1 1 / 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 6oz (175g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1lb 5oz (600g) beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
- 6oz (165g) mesclun
- To prepare the dressing, process the ingredients in a blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the peppers, turning from time to time, until blackened on all sides. Let cool until handleable. Remove the blackened skin, seeds, and ribs. Cut the peppers into thick strips.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the onions on a rimmed baking sheet, toss with 1 tbsp of the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, drizzle with 1 tbsp more oil, and the vinegar. Roast for 10 minutes more, until the onions are tender. Let cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F (220°C). Heat remaining 4 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a roasting pan. Roast about 20 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 130°F (55°C) for medium-rare meat. Transfer to a carving board. Let cool, and thinly slice the beef.
- Toss the mesclun with 1/4 cup of dressing. Add the beef, red pepper, onions, and cherry tomatoes. Serve with extra dressing on the side.
- prep 20 mins; cook 1 hr 5 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!