Bibb Lettuce Salad
Sweet Bibb lettuce contrasts well with a piquant, creamy Parmesan dressing
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10-15 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 12 thin baguette slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Bibb lettuce
- Parmesan shavings, to garnish
For the dressing
- 1 large egg
- 1 1 / 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 anchovies in oil, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 / 3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 / 2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). To make croutons, cut the sliced bread into quarters. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crisp. Let cool.
- To make the dressing, process the egg, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, and garlic in a blender. With the machine running, drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in a little water if the dressing is too thick. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. Serve, topping each serving with the croutons and Parmesan shavings, if desired.
- prep 20 mins; cook 10-15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!