Anchovies help to give this classic salad its traditional flavor, but they can be omitted from the dressing if preferred
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 2M
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced into a pur閑
- 2 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small heads of romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cro鹴ons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- To make the dressing, mash the garlic and anchovies together to make a thick paste. Scrape into a screw-top jar, add the olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper to taste. Shake until well blended and thick. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad, tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and toss with the cro鹴ons in a salad bowl. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add the eggs, and boil gently 2 minutes, no longer. Drain and rinse well with cold water.
- Crack open the eggs, scoop over the lettuce and toss. Shake the dressing well, pour over the salad, and toss again. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve at once.
- Good with all barbecued meats. It is also good served as a first course or lunch with chunks of French bread.
Chicken Caesar Salad: For a more substantial dish, add chunks or shreds of chicken. To make your own cro鹴ons, toss cubed French bread with olive oil, spread on a baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 350癋 (180癈) oven about 12 minutes, or until golden.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!