Carrot, Apple, and Cabbage Salad
Carrots, cabbage, and peanuts make a delicious combination in this simple salad.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 Fuji or other sweet apples
- 4 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 small white cabbage, cored and shredded
- handful of roasted sunflower seed kernels
- handful of cocktail peanuts or dry-roasted peanuts
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- juice of 2 limes
- 1-2 tsp granulated sugar
- handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First, make the dressing. Put all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and mix thoroughly until the sugar has dissolved. Taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed, then check the seasoning again. If it needs sweetening, add more sugar; if it needs salt, add a little more fish sauce.
- Quarter and core the apples, then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Put in a large bowl with the carrot, cabbage, and sunflower seed kernels. Toss well.
- Drizzle with the dressing, and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving dish or bowl, and scatter the peanuts over the top.
- Use prepared rice stick noodles instead of the cabbage if you prefer.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!