Chicken Caesar Salad
Chicken Caesar salad is an old favorite.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 large handfuls of crisp lettuce leaves, such as romaine hearts
- 1 cup (150g) prepared croutons
- 1/2 cup (2oz/50g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breast halves (12oz/350g), sliced
- 10 flat anchovies in oil, drained
For the dressing
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of English mustard powder, such as Colman's
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2/3 cup (150ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (50ml) olive oil
- First, make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper sauce. Whisking continuously, gradually whisk in the vegetable oil and then the olive oil, a little at a time, until the dressing forms an emulsion. If it is too thick, whisk in a little cold water.
- Place about half of the dressing in a large bowl, then add the lettuce leaves, croutons, and half of the Parmesan. Toss gently to coat the leaves.
- Lay out the leaves on serving plates or a platter, and top with the chicken and anchovies.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan, drizzle with some more of the dressing, and serve.
- Cheat...If you don't have time to make your own Caesar dressing, some good varieties can be found on supermarket shelves.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!