Chicken Salad with Carrot and Apple Relish
Apples make this healthy chicken salad a little sweet and absolutely delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 3-4
- 2 carrots
- 2 sweet red eating apples
- 2 preserved lemons, finely chopped
- small handful of golden raisins
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves, rinsed
- 12oz (350g) leftover roast chicken, sliced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (see Cook's Notes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- To make the carrot and apple relish, coarsely grate the carrots into a bowl. Quarter and core the apples, and grate into the bowl with the carrot. Add the preserved lemons and raisins, and mix together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the spinach leaves in a large shallow salad bowl, and top with the chicken and pine nuts. When ready to serve, drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Serve with the carrot and apple relish.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small dry frying pan: heat gently for a couple of minutes, tossing frequently, until they turn golden, but watch carefully because they can quickly burn.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!