Homemade coleslaw is so much better than the store-bought kind, and it is worth making extra to have on hand. Prepare in a food processor for the fastest results
Prep Time: 15M, approx.
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1/4 head green cabbage, cored
- 2 large carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the cabbage as finely as possible. Transfer to a large bowl and add the carrots, celery, and scallions. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and milk, then the lemon juice, parsley, and chives. Pour over the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve chilled.
- grater, mandoline, or food processor with grater attachment
- Prepare ahead: The coleslaw can be made a couple of hours in advance;and refrigerated in a covered container for up to 2 days.
- Good with grilled sausages or with a sandwich for lunch.
Fruit and Nut Coleslaw: For extra sweetness and crunch, add 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans, and 1/2 cup golden raisins just before serving.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!