Crunchy Chicken and Rice Salad
Water chestnuts, chopped celery, and slivered almonds give this chicken and rice salad some crunch.
Serves: 5 servings
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey breast (about 10 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups halved seedless green grapes or diced peeled apples
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds, cashews, or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place the water and rice in a 2-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer without stirring for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove the pot from the heat, and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Then uncover the pot and allow the rice to cool to room temperature, or transfer to a covered container and chill until ready to assemble the salad.
- Place the cooled rice, chicken or turkey, grapes or apples, water chestnuts, celery, and nuts, if desired, in a large bowl, and toss to mix well.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Add the dressing to the salad, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.