Fiesta Layered Salad
This salad is almost too pretty to eat, with layers of green avocado, red tomato, and yellow cheddar cheese.
Serves: 8 servings
- 3/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 3/4 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 can (1 pound) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced plum tomato
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Place the sour cream and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Stir to mix well, and set aside.
- Place the lettuce in a 3-quart glass serving bowl. Arrange the kidney beans in a layer over the lettuce, followed by layers of cheese, green pepper, onion, tomato, and avocado. Spread the sour cream mixture over the avocado layer, and garnish with a sprinkling of cheese and olives.
- Cover the salad, and chill for 3 to 5 hours. Toss to mix well just before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.