Flageolet Bean and Smoked Cheese Salad
Mix flageolet beans and smoked cheese to make a delicious salad.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 × 14oz (400g) can flageolet or small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of watercress, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4-41/2oz (125g) lightly smoked cheese, such as Gouda, cubed
- Put the beans in a large bowl. Stir in half of the chopped onion, the mustard, and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the watercress on a large serving platter or 4 individual plates. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top, and season with a pinch of salt to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining onion, top with the cheese, and serve.
- Thin slices of boiled or smoked ham, or prosciutto, are fabulous with this, and pecorino makes a delicious alternative to the smoked cheese.
- Crisp, fresh watercress makes all the difference. Wrap the cress in a damp paper towel and place inside an open plastic bag in the refrigerator.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!