Fresh Broccoli Salad
Raisins, red onion, and sunflower seeds combine with a sweet mayonnaise dressing in this broccoli salad.
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 head fresh broccoli (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1/2 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Peel the tough outer skin from the broccoli stalk. Chop the stalks into 1/2-inch pieces, and separate the top into small florets. Measure the broccoli. There should be about 6 cups of florets and stems. Adjust the amount if necessary.
- Place the broccoli, onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl, and toss to mix well.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Add the dressing to the broccoli mixture, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for several hours or overnight before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.