Fresh Tomato Salad
Buy the best tomatoes you can find for this salad, and opt for fresh basil over dried.
Serves: 6 servings
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place all of the vegetables in a shallow dish, and toss to mix.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally, before serving.
- To keep the tomatoes bright and firm, make this salad no more than 2 to 4 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.