Frosted Apricot-Pineapple Salad
Gelatin fruit salads are a terrific way to persuade picky eaters that healthy fruit is yummy food.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 1 (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) apricot halves packed in fruit juice, drained, and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 2 cups (two 8-ounce cans) pineapple tidbits, packed in fruit juice, drained, and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free vanilla cook-and-serve pudding mix
- 1 cup Cool Whip Free
- In a large bowl, combine dry gelatin and boiling water. Mix well to dissolve gelatin.
- Pour 1/2 cup apricot juice and 1/4 cup pineapple juice into gelatin mixture, stirring well. Reserve remaining juice.
- Coarsely chop apricots. Fold apricots and pineapple into gelatin mixture.
- Pour into an 8-by-8-inch dish. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until mixture is firm.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 1/4 cup pineapple juice, water, and dry pudding mix.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and starts to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Blend in Cool Whip Free. Spread mixture evenly over set gelatin.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Cut into 8 servings.
- If you can't find tidbits, use chunk pineapple and coarsely chop.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.