Greek Grilled Chicken Salad
Feta cheese and chunks of chicken breast make this Greek chicken salad recipe very satisfying.
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
- 2-3 tablespoons Lemon-Herb Rub
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- 10 cups torn romaine lettuce or mixed salad greens
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/2 cup crumbled nonfat or reduced-fat feta cheese
- 8 Greek salad peppers (optional)
- 3/4 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat red wine vinaigrette, Caesar, or balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Using your fingers, rub both sides of each piece of chicken with some of the rub. If you have time, set the chicken aside for 15 to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to better penetrate the meat.
- Coat a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray, and arrange the chicken on the pan. Spray the tops of the chicken breasts lightly with the cooking spray, and, turning occasionally, cook over medium coals or broil 6 inches under a preheated broiler for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meat is nicely browned and no longer pink inside. Set the chicken aside to cool.
- Slice the chicken thinly across the grain. Set aside. (Note that the chicken can be cooked the day before, refrigerated, and sliced just before assembling the salads.)
- To serve, arrange 2 1/2 cups of lettuce or other greens over the bottom of each of 4 plates. Arrange some of the cucumber, tomatoes, and olives around the outer edges of the lettuce on each plate. Top the lettuce with some of the onion rings. Arrange a sliced chicken breast over the lettuce, sprinkle with some of the feta, and garnish with 2 Greek salad peppers, if desired. Serve immediately, accompanied by some of the dressing and, if desired, wedges of warm pita bread.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.