Italian Garden Salad
This garden salad features two kinds of lettuce and the fantastic flavor of chickpeas.
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 cups torn romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped radicchio lettuce or coarsely shredded purple cabbage
- 2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat red wine vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- Place the lettuce, radicchio or cabbage, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, and chickpeas in a large salad bowl. Using a potato peeler, shred the carrot into thin strips and add it to the bowl. Add the Parmesan and oregano, and toss to mix well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss to mix well. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.