Italian Ham and Cheese Salad
Pasta, ham, and mozzarella cheese make a salad that is luscious and filling.
Serves: 5 servings
- 8 ounces penne pasta (about 2 2/3 cups)
- 1 cup diced ham, at least 97% lean (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup diced nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) green peas
- 2/3 cup matchstick-sized pieces red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl. Add the ham, mozzarella, peas, red pepper, olives, and scallions, and toss to mix.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Pour the dressing over the pasta mixture, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Toss in a little more mayonnaise just before serving if the salad seems too dry.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.