Italian Pasta Salad
This is a basic pasta salad that can be varied in many ways.
Serves: 8 servings
- 8 ounces rotini pasta (about 3 cups) or penne pasta (about 2 2/3 cups)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl. Add the tomato, scallions, and olives, and toss to mix well. Add the Italian dressing and cheese, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving. Toss in a little more dressing just before serving if the salad seems too dry.
- For variety, add any of the following ingredients: 1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber and 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper; 1 cup lightly steamed broccoli florets; 12 ounces cooked shrimp; 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts; 1/2 cup zucchini cut into matchstick-sized pieces and 1/2 cup grated carrot; or 1 cup cooked or canned kidney beans, chickpeas, or white beans
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.