Layered Taco Salad
Categories: Make ahead
Layered taco salads take a little more effort, but they'll wow your table. Careful with the chilies!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Southwest-style salsa, divided
- 1 1/4-ounce envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces baked tortilla chips
- Spray medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, breaking into small pieces; sprinkle with onion powder and garlic powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until beef is browned; drain well.
- Add 1 cup salsa, taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove beef mixture from heat and cool to room temperature. Beef mixture can be frozen or refrigerated at this point until ready to serve.
- In a large glass bowl, layer lettuce, tomato, carrots, onion, bell pepper and green chilies. Top with beef mixture and shredded cheese. Pour remaining salsa over salad; sprinkle with crumbled baked tortilla chips and serve.
- Meat is one of the best ways to get your daily value of 6 milligrams B for prevention of fatigue, memory loss and other neurological problems.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.