Lentil, Fava Bean, and Feta Salad
Start your meal off with a lentil, fava bean, and feta salad.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1/2 cup (85g) frozen shelled fava beans
- 1 × 14oz (400g) can of green or brown lentils, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups drained cooked lentils
- 1 bunch of scallions, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chile, finely chopped
- 6oz (175g) feta cheese, cut into cubes
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 × 1in (2.5cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- Cover the fava beans with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Put the lentils in a serving bowl and season with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Stir in the drained fava beans, scallions, and chile.
- To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, and ginger in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar (if using), and whisk until well blended.
- Drizzle over the salad and let stand for 10 minutes, to allow the flavors to develop.
- When ready to serve, stir in the feta and parsley.
- Canned lentils are an excellent pantry standby that will keep up to 1 year. They tend to be salty, so be sure to rinse them with cold water.
- Goat cheese, or any smoked or blue cheese, can be used instead of the feta. For a colorful twist, toss in some peeled orange segments.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!