Lentil Salad with Lemon and Almonds
Preserved lemons are available at Mediterranean grocers
Prep Time: prep 10 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 15-20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 3 / 4 cups French green (Puy) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 2 preserved lemon quarters, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 / 4 cup slivered almonds
- Bring the lentils with enough cold water to cover to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water, and let cool.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil in a bowl. Add the lentils, 1/2 cup of cilantro, the preserved lemons, and half of the shallot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring often, until golden brown. Drain and cool on paper towels. Stir the almonds into the lentil salad. Let stand for 10 minutes or so to let the flavors blend.
- Scatter the remaining onion and cilantro over the salad and serve at room temperature.
- prep 10 mins, plus standing; cook 15-20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!