Mediterranean Chef's Salad
Tuna and feta cheese are the highlights of this Mediterranean salad.
Serves: 4 servings
- 10 cups torn romaine lettuce or mixed salad greens
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (12 ounces) water-packed albacore tuna, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled nonfat or reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/2 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian or Caesar salad dressing
- Arrange a quarter of the lettuce over the bottom of each of 4 large plates. Arrange a quarter of the cucumber slices and 4 cherry tomato halves around the edges of each plate.
- Top the greens on each plate with 1/3 cup of the tuna; then scatter 1/3 cup of the beans over the tuna. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of feta and a tablespoon of olives. Top with some of the onion rings.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.