Neptune Pasta Salad
This colorful salad calls for tricolor rotini, fresh broccoli, and crab meat.
Serves: 5 servings
- 8 ounces tricolor rotini pasta (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups cooked crab meat or shrimp (about 10 ounces)
- 2/3 cup matchstick-sized pieces red bell pepper
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 2 1/4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. About 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli, and cook until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Place the pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add the crab meat or shrimp, red pepper, and scallions, and toss to mix.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Pour the dressing over the pasta, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Toss in a little more mayonnaise just before serving if the salad seems too dry.
- For variety, substitute fresh asparagus pieces for the broccoli.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.