New England Parsnip Slaw
Here's a crunchy, tart, and tangy way to serve parsnips -- which provide a wallop of healthy fiber in every serving!
Serves: Serves: 4 (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup Land O Lakes no-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup Kraft fat-free mayonnaise
- Sugar substitute to equal 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 cups peeled and shredded parsnips
- 1 cup (2 small) cored, unpeeled, and chopped Red Delicious apples
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar substitute, lemon juice, and black pepper. Stir in onion and parsley. Add parsnips and apples. Mix well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Gently stir again just before serving.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.