Orzo and Broccoli Salad
Orzo and pine nuts join broccoli for interesting taste and contrast in this intensely flavored salad.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl, and add boiling water just to cover. Set aside for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have plumped. Drain well, and set aside.
- Cook the orzo al dente according to package directions. About 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli, and cook until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli turns bright green and is crisp-tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Place the pasta mixture in a large bowl. Toss in the tomatoes and, if desired, the pine nuts.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Pour the dressing over the pasta mixture, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Toss in a little more dressing just before serving if the salad seems too dry.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.