Pacific Chicken Salad
On the Pacific coast, they like their chicken salad with pineapple, water chestnuts and brown rice.
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey breast (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple, or 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3/4 cup matchstick-sized pieces celery
- 1/2 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place the rice, chicken or turkey, pineapple, water chestnuts, and celery in a large bowl, and toss to mix well.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for several hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.