Perfect Picnic Salad
Light and tangy are the words to describe this perfect picnic salad.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Combine cucumbers, bell pepper and onion in large bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in small saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour mixture over vegetables; toss until coated. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Vinegar has been rated as one of the most versatile condiments. From Hippocrates, who recommended vinegar and honey to ease breathing to hand-washing in the tenth century and wound disinfectant during World War I, vinegar is an excellent low-calorie flavor enhancer.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.