Potato Salad with Prosciutto
With the addition of salty ham and fragrant caraway seeds, this hearty salad is full of flavor
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 lb ( 675g) small new potatoes
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 6 slices prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
For the dressing
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 shallots or scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with lightly salted cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the caraway seeds and cook, stirring almost constantly, for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate.
- To make the dressing, whisk the sour cream, shallots, vinegar, mustard, and garlic in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut each potato in half and put in a large bowl. Add the caraway seeds, prosciutto, 2 tbsp of the parsley, and the dressing. Toss gently to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and scatter with the remaining chopped parsley.
- Prepare ahead: The salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!