Primavera Pasta Salad
Fresh snow peas and fresh asparagus spears make this a salad with a nice crunch!
Serves: 8 servings
- 8 ounces rotini or wagon wheel pasta (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, fresh snow peas, or fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup matchstick-sized pieces red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. About 2 minutes before the pasta is done, add the broccoli, snow peas, or asparagus; carrots; and mushrooms. Cook until the pasta is al dente and the vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain well, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Place the pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add the red pepper and scallions, and toss to mix well. Add the dressing, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Add a little more dressing just before serving if the salad seems too dry.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.