Whole grain quinoa makes a tasty and healthy summer salad. Be sure to rinse it well in a fine sieve before cooking
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2oz ( 55g) feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- Rinse the quinoa well in a fine mesh sieve. Drain and place it in a medium heavy-bottomed pan. Stir constantly over a medium heat about 3 minutes, until the grains separate and begin to brown.
- Add 21/4 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Add the cucumber, onion, parsley, and mint to the quinoa. Whisk together the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over the quinoa and mix.
- Sprinkle with the feta cheese and olives. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!