Brown rice is healthier than white rice, and it tastes better too! Combine it with mango chutney and ginger, and you have the beginnings of a heart-smart salad.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry paste
- Place the rice, celery, carrot, almonds, and raisins in a large bowl, and toss to mix well.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Add the dressing to the rice mixture, and toss to mix well, adding a little more mayonnaise if the mixture seems too dry.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.