Roasted Beet and Feta Salad
Deep magenta with accents of white and green, serve this salad as a side dish or a first course
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1-11/4 hrs
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 6 small beets, scrubbed but unpeeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4oz ( 115g) arugula
- 4oz ( 115g) feta cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the beets in a roasting pan. Add 1/2 cup water and drizzle with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Roast about 1 3/4 hrs, or until tender.
- Uncover the beets and let cool. Peel and dice the beets.
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard, and honey together in a small bowl, then whisk in the oil. Combine the beets, onions, and dressing in a bowl and toss. Sprinkle the arugula, feta, and mint over the top. Toss gently, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- prep 10 mins; cook 1-11/4 hrs
Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad: Substitute a firm, crumbly goat cheese for the feta. Scatter the salad with 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds or toasted pine nuts.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!