Roasted Tomato Salad with Lemon and Crème Fraîche
Slow-roasting tomatoes intensifies their sweet flavor, which is well matched with a creamy dressing
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 2 hrs
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 6 large plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches of scallions
- 2 / 3 cup crème fraîche
- lemon-infused olive oil or a fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 275°F (140°C). Halve and core the tomatoes and place, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast about 2 hours, until very tender. Let cool.
- Trim the scallions, and cut each one in half crosswise, then lengthwise. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook about 3 minutes, until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Arrange 3 tomato halves and a tangle of scallions on each plate. Add a dollop of crème fraîche and drizzle with lemon oil. Serve at room temperature.
- prep 15 mins; cook 2 hrs
Balsamic Tomatoes: Drizzle the warm roasted tomatoes with balsamic vinegar. Cool, and serve with whole grain toast.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!