Layering this healthy slaw takes a bit of extra effort, but it looks wonderfully enticing.
Serves: 10 servings
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled apples (about 1 1/2 medium)
- 1 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) frozen (thawed) green peas
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Place the lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl. Add the apples, and toss to mix. Set aside.
- Place the sour cream and mayonnaise in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the cabbage in a 2 1/2-quart glass serving bowl. Arrange the apple mixture in a layer over the cabbage, followed by a layer of water chestnuts and a layer of peas. Spread the sour cream mixture over the peas, and sprinkle the cheese over the sour cream. Top with a sprinkling of nuts.
- Cover the salad, and chill for several hours or overnight. Toss to mix well just before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.