Smoked Trout and Pancetta Salad
The bitter leaves and radishes combine well with the salty fish and cheese in this light dish
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1 / 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 / 3 cup plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the salad
- 12oz (350g) smoked trout
- 12 thin slices pancetta
- 2 bunches watercress, washed
- 2 Belgian endive, leaves separated
- 5oz (140g) feta cheese, diced
- 5 small radishes, finely sliced
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard together in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bones and skin from the trout. Cook the pancetta about 5 minutes, until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Divide the watercress and endive among 4 plates. Scatter trout, feta, pancetta, radishes, and shallots over each. Drizzle with the dressing.
- prep 10 mins; cook 10 mins
Smoked Mackerel Salad: Omit the trout and radishes. Use flaked fillets of peppered smoked mackerel in place of the smoked trout.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!