Smoked Trout with Beet, Apple, and Dill Relish
This delicious salad combines the flavors of smoked trout, beet, apple, and dill relish.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 3-4 tsp creamed white horseradish
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1-2 heads curly endive or frisée, leaves separated
- 2 large cold-smoked trout fillets, about 8oz (225g) each, flaked
- drizzle of olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 eating apples
- 2 beets, cooked, peeled, and diced
- handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the horseradish with half of the onion. Set aside.
- Arrange the curly endive and flaked trout on a serving plate, and drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and some black pepper.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples into bite-size pieces. Combine with the beet and dill in a separate bowl, and mix together to make the relish.
- To serve, spoon the relish over the salad. Sprinkle with the remaining red onion, and serve the horseradish-onion mixture on the side.
- Crisp lettuce leaves, such as romaine, can be used instead of curly endive.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!