Smoked Trout with Pickled Cucumber and Minted Yogurt
Smoked trout combined with pickled cucumber and minted yogurt make this dish delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled and halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced
- 4 tbsp Greek-style plain yogurt
- handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 large handfuls of mixed lettuce leaves
- 12 green olives, pitted
- 2 cold-smoked trout fillets, about 7oz (200g) each, flaked
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the avocado and sprinkle with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Set aside.
- To make the pickled cucumber, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and chile in a medium bowl. Add the cucumber and toss to mix. In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt and mint.
- Arrange the lettuce and olives in a large bowl or on 4 individual plates. Top with the flaked trout and avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon some of the cucumber mixture over the top and reserve the rest in a bowl to serve on the side, along with the minted yogurt.
- Slightly bitter leaves such as curly endive are perfect for this salad. Try to buy salad leaves loose, rather than already packaged in bags, as they will keep for much longer.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!