Spiked Fruit Salad
All sorts of healthy fruits soak in white wine for this "spiked" fruit salad.
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 plums or apricots, sliced
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 peaches or nectarines, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind, or 1 teaspoon dried orange rind
- Place the cornstarch and juice in a small saucepan, and stir to dissolve the cornstarch. Add the wine, honey, and orange rind, and stir to mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for several minutes, or until the mixture begins to boil and thickens slightly. Remove the pot from the heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the dressing into a large bowl. Add the fruits, and toss to mix well. Cover and chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.