Spinach and Grilled Peach Salad with Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Sweet-and-Sour Dressing
Grilled peaches paired with fresh spinach and a crumble of blue cheese and bacon makes a great meal, or a great appetizer before a simple steak dinner.
Serves: Serves 4 as a salad course or appetizer
- 8 strips bacon
- 2 ripe but firm peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches baby spinach leaves, trimmed, washed, and dried
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese of your choice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice of I lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium-hot (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- On the stove top, cook the bacon in a sautï¿½ pan over medium heat until crisp (6-8 minutes). Drain off any fat and let the bacon cool until you are able to handle it, then crumble it roughly between your fingers into a small bowl.
- Make the dressing: Combine the ketchup, mustard, sugar, and garlic in a blender or food processor and purï¿½e. With the machine running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream. When all the oil is incorporated, add the vinegar and lime juice and pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Rub the peach halves with oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, then put over the coals and grill, cut sides down, until nicely browned (4-5 minutes). Remove from the grill, cut each half into 4 wedges, and transfer to a large bowl, along with the spinach.
- Pulse the dressing a few more times to blend; add enough dressing to the peaches and spinach just to moisten (there will probably be some dressing left over), and toss to coat. Arrange the salad on a platter or individual serving plates, sprinkle generously with the blue cheese and bacon, and serve.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!