Sweet Potato Salad
The sweet potatoes in this salad are made even sweeter by pineapple, golden raisins, and shredded coconut. A ginger-based dressing provides sharp contrast.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/4 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Peel the potatoes, and cut into 5/8-inch cubes. Measure the potatoes. There should be 3 cups. Adjust the amount if necessary.
- Place the potatoes in a 2-quart pot. Add enough water to barely cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, or just until tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the drained pineapple, celery, raisins, pecans, and coconut, and toss to mix well.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix. Add the dressing to the salad, and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad, and chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.