Terrific Taco Salad
This salad features romaine lettuce plus tortillas, ground beef, beans, and cheese.
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 flour tortillas (8- to 10-inch rounds), warmed to room temperature
- 9 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- TACO FILLING
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 can (1 pound) black beans or pinto beans, drained and coarsely mashed
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup nonfat or reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- To make the shells, invert six 6-ounce custard cups on a large baking sheet, and coat the bottom of each cup with nonstick cooking spray. Place each tortilla over a cup, allowing the sides of the tortilla to drape down over the sides of the inverted cup. (Note that the tortilla will not drape enough to touch the sides of the cup, but will bend just enough to form a basket for the salad.) Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and allow the shells to cool to room temperature. Remove the shells from the custard cups, and transfer each one to an individual serving plate.
- To make the taco filling, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the beans, salsa, onion, and chili powder to the skillet, and stir to mix well. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender and the flavors are blended. Add a little water or extra salsa if the mixture seems too dry. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- To assemble the salads, arrange 1 1/2 cups of the lettuce over the bottom of each tortilla shell, and top with a sixth of the meat mixture. Garnish with the tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream, and serve immediately, accompanying the salad with Tex-Mex Salad Dressing.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.