Warm Green Bean Salad
This crunchy, nutty salad is also a great vegetable side dish
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1lb ( 450g) green beans, preferably haricots verts, trimmed
- 9oz ( 250g) snow peas, trimmed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 3 scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, until toasted. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook the green beans in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and cook about 1 minute more, until both vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain well in a colander.
- Mix the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and honey in a large bowl. Add the green beans, snow peas, and scallions and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.
- Prepare ahead: The green beans and snow peas can be blanched and the dressing prepared up to 4 hours ahead; reheat the vegetables in boiling water for 1 minute, drain, and add the dressing.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!