Warm Lamb Salad with Pomegranate and Walnuts
Pomegrante molasses (evaporated pomegranate juice) is available at Mediterranean grocers
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus marinating
Cooking Time: cook 15-20 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 sprigs of thyme
For the vinaigrette
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the lamb and salad
- 1 1 / 2 lb (675g) boneless loin of lamb
- 6oz (175g) mesclun
- 1 head of Belgian endive leaves
- 1 / 2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the marinade, mix the pomegranate molasses, oil, garlic, cayenne, and thyme in a zippered plastic bag. Add the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, occasionally turning the bag over.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the shallot, vinegar, and pomegranate molasses in a bowl and let stand for 15 minutes. Whisk in the walnut and olive oils. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat an ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Remove the lamb from the marinade. Add to the pan and cook, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, until browned. Roast for about 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the lamb reads 130°F (55°C) for medium-rare. Transfer the lamb to a carving board and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Carve the lamb. Divide the mesclun and endive among dinner plates and top with the sliced lamb. Sprinkle with the walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.
- prep 20 mins, plus marinating; cook 15-20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!