Watercress and Toasted Walnut Salad
Try serving this dish alongside savory tarts
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
For the salad
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 bunches watercress, washed and dried
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 / 4 cup walnut oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned, watching closely so they don't burn. Let cool, and crush lightly with your hands.
- To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, mustard, and sugar in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the watercress, shallots, and walnuts in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing, and serve immediately.
- prep 15 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!