Winter Apple Salad
This creamy-crunchy blend of apples, raisins, and walnuts is a perfect side dish for pork, but it's tasty with just about any entree.
Serves: Serves: 6 (1/2 cup)
- 1 (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free vanilla cook-and-serve pudding mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 2 cups (4 small) cored, unpeeled, and diced Red Delicious apples
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, combine dry pudding mix and water.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and starts to boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar and margarine. Place saucepan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, celery, raisins, and walnuts.
- Add cooled dressing mixture. Mix gently to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Gently stir again just before serving.
- To plump up raisins without "cooking," place in a glass measuring cup and microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.