Baked Eggplant 'n' Cheese Sandwiches
Here's an Italian dish, eggplant Parmesan, for folks on the go. Classic eggplant Parmesan ingredients -- in a sandwich!
Serves: Serves: 4
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups nonfat pasta sauce
- 2 cups nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated nonfat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler on high heat.
- Line baking sheet(s) with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheet(s); sprinkle with garlic powder and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Cook eggplant 5 minutes per side until lightly browned and tender.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour 1 cup pasta sauce into baking dish; arrange half the eggplant slices on top of sauce.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese on each eggplant slice and top with remaining eggplant slices.
- Cover with remaining sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Eggplant can be covered, refrigerated and baked later, or baked 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned and casserole is heated through.
- For better eggplant casseroles, select fat, rounded eggplants; they tend to be juicer and better suited for baking than long, slender ones.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.