Baked-in-Buns Sloppy Joes
The classic Sloppy Joe isn't very healthy. This baked version loses the fat, but not the flavor!
Serves: Serves: 8
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 (16-ounce) cans Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce
- 8 low-calorie hamburger buns, cut in half
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add ground beef, bell pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and cook, stirring, over medium heat until beef is cooked through.
- Add sauce; cook, stirring frequently, until meat mixture is heated through.
- Scoop out centers of tops and bottoms of hamburger buns. Divide sloppy Joe mixture among bun bottoms; replace tops.
- Wrap individual sandwiches in heavy-duty foil.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake sandwiches 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sandwiches can be wrapped and stored in freezer bags before baking; bake directly from freezer at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Complete your Baked-in-Buns Sloppy Joe meal with frozen corn on the cob (microwaved in minutes) and chunky-style applesauce.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.