Bean Burgers with Creamy Mustard Sauce
These bean burgers taste great with the creamy mustard sauce, and they're very heart-friendly!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 3 cups canned red kidney beans, mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Combine beans, bell pepper, green onion, egg substitute, soy sauce, bread crumbs, Mrs. Dash seasoning and garlic powder in medium bowl; mix well.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- With a large spoon, scoop portions of bean mixture into skillet and press to flatten into 2-to 3-inch patties. Cook until browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Combine sour cream, yogurt, mustard and dill in small bowl; mix until blended. Cover and refrigerate several hours before serving.
- Wrap bean burgers in foil; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Reheat bean patties (wrapped in foil) in 350F oven 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with mustard sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and onions in pita pocket breads.
- Legumes are nutritional superfoods. One cup contains 200 to 250 calories, 14 to 20 grams of protein, 6 to 8 grams of fiber and fewer than 2 grams of fat, along with a multitude of vitamins and minerals.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.