Curried Turkey Salad Sandwiches
Apple, celery, and raisin flavors combine with curry paste and mango chutney for a great turkey salad sandwich.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey breast (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon curry paste
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets (6-inch rounds), cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups alfalfa sprouts or shredded romaine lettuce
- Place the turkey, apple, celery, and raisins in a medium-sized bowl, and toss to mix well. Place the sour cream, mayonnaise, chutney, and curry paste in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the sour cream mixture to the turkey mixture, and toss to mix well. Cover the mixture, and chill for at least 2 hours.
- To assemble the sandwiches, fill each pita half with a scant 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture, and some of the sprouts or lettuce. Serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.