Fabulous French Dips
Mushrooms, onions, sherry, and beef broth create a very tasty French dip!
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 6 pieces French bread, each 6 inches long, or 6 whole wheat submarine-sandwich rolls, each 6 inches long
- 1 pound 2 ounces thinly sliced cooked lean roast beef
- 6 ounces thinly sliced nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- To make the broth, place all of the broth ingredients in a 1-quart pot. Stir to mix, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the flavors are well blended.
- While the broth is simmering, coat a medium-sized nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and sherry, and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Cover the skillet periodically if it begins to dry out. (The steam from the cooking vegetables will moisten the skillet.) Add a little more sherry if the skillet gets too dry.
- Slice the French bread or rolls in half lengthwise, and lay the pieces open on a flat surface. Arrange 3 ounces of beef on the bottom half of each piece. Top with some of the sautéed mushrooms and onions and 1 ounce of the cheese. Replace the tops of the sandwiches, and cut each one in half.
- Arrange the sandwiches on a microwave-safe platter. Cover with a paper towel, and microwave on high power for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Alternatively, wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil and bake at 400°F for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Place the sandwiches on serving plates, accompany each plate with a dish of the broth, and serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.