Fried Mozzarella Panini
Categories: Comfort Foods, Cooking with Kids, Kid-friendly, Lunchbox, Quick to fix, Vegetarian
Served hot, this is a truly indulgent snack
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 6M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more as needed
- 5oz ( 150g) thinly sliced mozzarella
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 16 large basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4oz ( 112g) arugula leaves, to serve
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Drizzle the bread on both sides with the oil.
- Top four bread slices with the mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the remaining bread and compress with your hands, making sure none of the filling is sticking out.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and tilt to coat the bottom of the pan. Carefully add 2 sandwiches. Cook, turning once, about 5 minutes, until golden on both sides. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm while frying the remaining sandwiches in the remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Toss the arugula with the vinegar in a medium bowl. Slice each sandwich in half and transfer each to a plate. Add equal amounts of the salad, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!